Thursday, March 21, 2013

John F. Kennedy School: Berlin



 Hello, Hello! :)

Many of you are probably wondering exactly what I am teaching while I am in Germany.  I have been asked if I will be teaching English or will it be at a military school.  At first I was unable to give a clear answer to these questions.  I knew that the answer was no but I didn't have an explanation as to what JFKS was about until I was enlightened by my wonderful cooperating teacher, Elisabeth.  She explained that JFKS is a German public school, but is affiliated with the American government.  Founded as a friendship project in 1961, JFKS maintains the idea of teaching both from the German and the American curricula and tries to foster not only bilingualism, but also biculturalism.  It is not a military school, though they did have some military kids while the wall was still standing.  Now there are American kids from the Embassy, companies, artists, and other ex-pats.  The rest of the students are German and other nationalities (English, Irish, Indian, among others).  One interesting fact that I recently learned is that Elisabeth’s mother was one of the founding American teachers at JFKS!   


Good morning from JFK!
From the moment I stepped onto campus I found the school to be fascinating.  The faculty, staff, and students all greeted me warmly with smiles and even hugs.  I very quickly felt at home and fell in love with my adorable second graders.    My cooperating teacher, Elisabeth, is loving and a breath of fresh air.  She has had these students since they were in kindergarten because at JFKS they do a form of teaching that is called looping.  This is when the teacher moves up to the next grade level with the students.  Most teachers only loop two grades but Elisabeth had the pleasure of teaching three grades for this particular class.  With looping the teachers are obviously able to get to know and understand the children much better and are able to skip times of having to review or learn about a child because they already know their capabilities and where they left off from the previous year.  JFKS has a schedule that is similar to a year round schedule in America which also helps with this area.  At JFKS they have six weeks off in the summer, two for the fall break, one for winter, and two more for spring break.  Not to mention they celebrate all national holidays for both America and Germany. 

Many aspects of JFKS are the same as most of the school that I have been in previously, however, there are also that are quite a few areas that are differing.   

Here are some tid bits of information about JFKS.

·         At JFKS the schedule changes every day.  Unlike American schools that have the exact same schedule every day of the week for the most part the students at JFKS are used to a different schedule each of the days of the week. 

·         At JFKS the students split for langue arts which is called mother tongue.  The German students go to a class where they only speak German and the English speaking students go to a class where they only speak English.  This only lasts until the 2nd grade though and then the students switch they begin having mother tongue in the opposite language to help strengthen that language as well.  Students at JFKS attend religion classes several times a week.  Some students attend catholic classes while others attend protestant classes.  The students whose parents appose to this go to a classroom for religion rest where they have time to play or do as they please.   

·         The students at JFKS PLAY IN THE SNOW!  I was dumbfounded by this when I saw the students in their cute little snowsuits running around before school started romping and rolling in the snow.  In the U.S. we NEVER played in the snow at recess.

·         The students in my second grade class arrive at school between 7:30 and 7:45 and play outside until 10 till 8.  At this time they go inside to change out of their jackets and shoes.  They wear “house shoes” while in the classroom.  By doing this they keep out dirt and sand from the playground.   School for 2nd grade lasts until 1:10 and then the children are dismissed.

·         The children eat lunch in the classroom every day and they eat the most DELICIOUS lunches.  They look they just arrived from Panera.  After lunch the children have 30 minutes to play outside.

·         The children also have a 10 break to play outside.  In Germany they believe that being active helps children to learn.  I completely agree! 

·         Almost all of the students in my class are bilingual.  They are brilliant and full of beauty inside and out. 

·         The students enjoy attempting to teach me German and love to laugh at the ridiculous sounds that come out of my mouth.  I am trying so hard but German is not the easiest language to learn.

I have so much more to tell you but I am spent for the day!  Tomorrow is our last day before our two week spring break and I will be doing lots of traveling which I still have to finish packing for. :) I am thrilled to be visiting Munich, Prague, Florence, Barcelona, and London over break.  I know I will have lots of exciting details for you upon my return!
 


 


 Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment